Friday 4 March 2016

Digging for poems

HERE ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT POEMS INSPIRED BY GARDENING.

TO BOSTON IVY

I wish my writing was of a hardier sort
like Boston Ivy that clings without support
and never sheds its leaves and grows in any aspect.

I’d like to write like Boston Ivy
with my pink flush autumn success
shimmering on me.

Instead of which I cling
only when supported
like Clematis Armandi.

And sport my purple flowers
sparingly, singly

and sometimes not at all! 


On Making Garden

"This soil needs turned," you say.
"It is a spade job."
You suggest a pond or water channel.

To collect our tears in, I am thinking.
"I want flower beds," I say
To blazon forth in summer streaming

But for the moment we lie
decades deep dreaming
Weighed down by topsoil and grief

And in this dark and at this depth
We cannot see this garden in the making.

Copyright with Cathy Leonard 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment