Tuesday 7 May 2019

The Mother from Google


WEEK 7 IN FLASH FICTION COURSE. 
ONE TASK IS TO WRITE ONE HALF OF A TELEPHONE CONVERSATION. 
CONFLICT IS USEFUL....

The Mother from Google

Dating again? Isn’t it a bit soon? (Pauses double-bill finale of Line of Duty)
Well, yes. It’s one way of getting over him, but weren’t you the one who finished it?
I’m not saying you should have stayed. (Rolls eyes)
Yes, your gut feelings matter. (Lolls tongue)
He was judgemental? You find everybody judgemental.
I’m just saying. It’s a favourite refrain of yours.
I’m being judgemental!!(Reaches for laptop)
Haven’t you watched any of those Tinder documentaries? They’re not pretty. (Begins to scroll for evidence)
You just want to get laid? Tinder’s your site for that.
I know what I hear. Anyway who’s this Tinder date?
A DJ!! I thought you were looking for stability?
If your man was flakey can you imagine what a DJ would be like? What’s his name anyway? (Fingers poised on keyboard)
Markus de what? Quercy? That’s got to be a stage name. (Googles)
Not a great sign if he’s using his block-rockin’ hip-hop name on Tinder.
What age?
Forty two probably means fifty five. (Downloads photos)
He could be using an old photo or a fake one.
All I’m saying is check him out. If he’s a DJ he must be on YouTube. (Presses mute button)
You have? Well, so have I and if he’s forty two I’m a spring chicken.
Silence
You need to go past the first two clicks, sweetheart. His name’s Mark Deegan and he was probably playing Abba when I was a dancing queen.


Copyright with Cathy Leonard 2019

1 comment:

  1. We're so lucky our mothers didn't have the internet!! This is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete