Saturday 25 February 2023

Circumlocution




 I was born old.

Early memories of trying to imagine infinity

which somehow led to a delineation my postal address

Somewhat like Stephen Dedalus

but in my case flying over  the dreary steeples*

of Fermanagh and Tyrone

upwards towards the Solar System

Orion's Arm and The Milky Way

bypassing comets, asteroids and other planets on route.

In my search for infinity I travelled

beyond postal codes ,non-existent then,

for any postman worth his salt would know

 where to find:

Stephen Dedalus, Dublin, Earth, Universe.

and like him, rather than grid fence my existence 

I imagined it extending upwards and outwards

and ever onwards...


And is there a point to this windy tale?

No, except to say 

that I must be ageing backwards

as my bent now is to confine myself 

to the here and now

for as long as possible


Copyright 2023 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved

Sir Winston Churchill, February 16, 1922:

“The whole map of Europe has been changed … but as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again.”

1 comment: