Monday 2 October 2023

Letting You in








Reading a poem often inspires me to write a poem and reading one today about how one poet tries not to think about a past lost love I was struck by the fact that I do exactly the opposite.....


Sometimes in sepia I let you in

a young man in a photograph

raising his hand as if to throw a stone-

it wouldn't have been a stone-

but half a century later

it could have been anything.


Sometimes I let in the moment

our eyes met and time faltered-

a lens refracting light

bending it to focus

catching us mid frame

releasing us on emergence.


Sometimes it's your voice I let in

on the other end of the line

giving me a line -something

about football practice or matches-

creating a gravity so strong

I can't evade it.


And sometimes- the last time-

 we are sitting across a formica topped table

your eyes panning beyond me

into the past or into the future

and me not asking why


Copyright 2023 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved

1 comment: