Monday 21 March 2016

Calypso


The Wave scarf is finished and my favourite to date...

Poetry and Myth

The story of Odysseus and Calypso has intrigued me for a long time.
My sympathy lies with the woman and I suspect that she has been hard done by....
by Homer et al.
http://www.greekmyths-greekmythology.com/calypso-odysseus-greek-myth/

So here is  my yarn about it.

Calypso

You watch his raft stroke the pale
canvas of an Aegean sea,
ripple its skin, quicken its belly,
and pulse through muscle flow and back flow

And when a gale threatens to break his mast
you watch him take hold of her,
measure her girth, and lengthen her frame

And you recall his fingers stroking the bird foot
pattern of your veins, arching your back,
and raising your sail.

But he is turned away from you now.

And though he has not heard yet
of Lot’s wife, he can taste salt on his lips
and will not look back.



Copyright with Cathy Leonard 2016 

1 comment: