Tuesday 26 April 2016

The Master of Ceremonies


As a child I was petrified by the ubiquitous town comedian who compered every show in town.
Years later I came across him again..
They are the subversives, the satirists,the truth sayers..Shakespeare's fools...
Good reason to be fearful....

Comedians still terrify me....

Birdie

He frightened me.
The little stand-up comedian
with the dead-pan face.

I never knew if he meant what he said.
And he might just burst out laughing
at my expense
at any moment.

And so I dreamt I killed him
Chopped him up
and buried him in my back garden

Only my parents knew
And they wouldn't tell.

Then I woke up
Telling myself over and over
That Birdie had come a long way since then
That Birdie was playing Beckett at the Gate.

Copyright with Cathy Leonard 2016




No comments:

Post a Comment