Sunday 27 February 2022

Pancakes- Crumpets-Drop Scones

    


With the shop aisles filling with pancake pans and ready made batter mixes,utensils I never heard of etc etc I want to share this Drop Scone recipe. Drop Scones do not resemble scones at all but look more like Scottish Crumpets, thicker and smaller than French Crepes.

I AM A ROUGH AND READY TYPE OF BAKER SO HERE GOES....

For Drop Scones you need :

About 9 oz plain flour

Half a teaspoon of baking soda/bicarbonate of soda (not powder)

Half a teaspoon of Cream of Tartar

Sieve all of the above

Add 1 large beaten egg and 275ml/half a pint of buttermilk

Mix well 

Grease pan with vegetable oil and heat.

Drop spoonfuls of the batter on to the hot pan- batches of about 3 or 4 work well at a time.Otherwise the crumpets will run into each other and you need room to negotiate flipping over the pancakes when you see bubbles appearing on top of them.




Fry until golden brown on both sides.





Smother with butter, honey and lemon or whatever takes your fancy...

Eat while still warm.

Bon Apetit!

Tomorrow--what to do with the left over buttermilk---



Miss Molly likes them too!

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know what cream of tartar is. And I have never bought buttermilk in my life! I'll stick to scones then!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to look that up. Cream of Tartar is a by product from winemaking and you can substitute it with baking powder but one and a half teasp of BP for one teasp of CT. Didn't know that!Thanks...

    ReplyDelete