Wednesday 31 July 2024

Transience





If I hadn't read about those Tibetan monks

sweeping their sand mandalas into an urn, 

and dispersing them in flowing water

to symbolise the transience of art and life,


reminding me of Banksy's Balloon Girl

shredded during auction,transmuted by the hammer

 into Love is in the Bin,


I might have enjoyed the sun setting alight 

the under leaves of my Smoke Tree

from royal purple to claret red


or the reflection of hot lipped Salvias

through a window pane half ajar,

their open mouths prone to the suckling of honeybee


or the sun highlighting a ball of wool from West Yorkshire Spinners

catching the promise of Christmas in its Nutcracker glitter

and thought about the socks I would make out of that...


That's the kind of morning I could have had...




Copyright 2024 Cathy Leonard


1 comment: