Monday 25 July 2022

Fox gloves

 


On the West Coast of Ireland looking at the ocean

I like to place a foxglove in the frame

standing just where I would if I were a lus mór

big flower, scanning the sea for viking longboats

or sightings of Granuaile attacking the English crown

or later sailing ships making their way to Ellis 

spitting out corpses on arrival at that shore

or steamers set for the Americas, some not making it,

and later still yachts and pleasure cruisers

following pods of dolphins, and always fishermen

in all weathers with their nets and lobster pots

and every dusk and dawn the sun spreading its palette

from blush to rose to indigo to fade

and clouds gathering and then breaking

and waves lashing and then receding

standing just where I would 

if I were a fox glove,lus mór,fairy thimble

watching time go by.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard





1 comment:

  1. An artist I follow, Kate Kos (Kate Kos Studio) has lovely paintings of foxgloves. Your poem reminded me of her paintings.

    ReplyDelete