Thursday 14 July 2022

Status Alert


 


It was circa 1988

"Are you Miss, Mrs or Ms?"

demands man-uniform

in Manchester departure lounge.


I play baffled.

"On your boarding form, Madam."

It was 1988.


Would my marital status

potentially

Threaten airport security?

Create high risk environment?

Prevent airplane take-off?

Influence luggage capacity?

I ask him.


You have three choices.

He bowls them out.

Miss, Mrs or Ms?


"Did you ask male passengers

the same question?"

Batting a defensive shot


"Three choices...etc..etc..etc" 

He is a steady pitcher.


I bat it to the men-suits 

in the departure lounge

playing a flick shot

causing a ripper.


So he counters

with a right arm leg spin bowler

"Is she your wife?"


My companion

dropping the bat

gives robotic response-

stumped.


It was almost a marriage breaker

This was 1988.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved

Why are we still asked that question ???

Why were we ever asked that question???



1 comment:

  1. I always liked the Ms version, it's a bit like saying "none of your business"! But yeah, why are we still asked that question!

    ReplyDelete