Sunday 4 February 2024

Sunday Morning



 It's Sunday morning, early February,

the wind shaking the branches outside...

doesn't it know it's Spring

officially at least?


and I have nowhere to be 

and I'm sipping tea

and reading poetry

and where else should I be? 

and what else doing?


Bu there's the imagined taste

of caraway seed on my tongue 

from the cake I plan to make, maybe today,

and there's the half- knitted sock waiting

for completion and a mate


or I could vacuum the carpet

or rake the ashes from the grate

or take a shower using that lemon soap

 the very same as the cool wrappered one 

that Leopold Bloom bought in Sweny's

on that memorable day


though I find that it falls short 

in the area of lather

and emits not much of a lemon tang

and transports me nowhere at all...


So instead of enjoying the ease 

of a lazy Sunday wintry morning 

I am wracked by thoughts

of actions not performed

and journeys not taken..


Copyright 2023 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved


https://www.sweny.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment