Wednesday 20 April 2022

In Search of a Poem

 


Spin-Tale

I trawl the woods in search of a tale.

Images that will feed lines, sustain stanzas.

Then it happens just beside the dog park

The screech of bicycle brakes

That propels her imagination into overdrive,

Causes her to tail-spin, projects her back

Along the path just travelled.


A dash beneath the aureole of beech leaves

Bud breaking, hovering,

Through spring freeze still underfoot,

Needles of icicled frost,

Through the maze of shade and light

That splinters the woods

 Until she reaches the fallen beech

Where I can, if I speed up, intercept her.


I just wish yer man would oil his brakes

Or abide by park rules and stick to the cycle track.

But given that he’s just given me a poem

And that I have a dog off-leash

I can hardly complain…


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Next time you see that cyclist, thank him for the poem! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete