Tuesday 26 April 2022

Struggling to Write a Sonnet

 



Today's idea for a poem came to me while walking Miss Molly in the woods, as per usual.

 Opening line "If I only had more time..." 

It was to be about trees and tree recognition. There's a name for it. I'll look it up later.

So I get home but the poem's just not cooperating with me. Time for tea. 

I come back and this lands on the page...


Tea Break.


While wrestling with a poem about having no time

I made a cup of tea, 

admired my pot of fuchsia in the garden,

packed my left-over couscous for a take-a-way lunch,

gave the cat his third sup of milk,

tried to remember the rhyme scheme for a Petrarchan sonnet

and its metre, if that wasn't going too far,

thought a Shakespearean one might do instead



But instead of writing that poem

All on the subject of trees and leaf recognition

and having no time

I decided that this poem might do instead

which as you see is not quite on theme

as I appear to have all the time in the world.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved.

Maybe that Petrarchan sonnet will appear some other day....

1 comment:

  1. Any poem is always better than no poem. And they're always fun to read - there's so much of you in these pieces!

    ReplyDelete