Tuesday 19 July 2022

Brain Groove


 

Ever since I heard it

at the freezer counter in the supermarket

the song has been revolving 

around my head.


I made the mistake of entertaining it

for a minute or two

trying to recall the year

the love interest in my life at the time

the unrequited lust that ensued

the aptness of the song title to my condition.


But I didn't intend it to take root in my brain

and belt out its melancholy for the rest of the day,

a needle embedded in a vinyl gyre

the dog circumnavigating her hidden bone

the cat chasing its tail

the whirling microwave plate with a glitch.


I introduced other lyrics to supplant it

equally vintage but more upbeat

but even my evening diptera watch

winged creatures skimming over lavender

like hovercrafts in some futuristic setting

like Blade Runner

was sound tracked by yer man 

in the cap and braces

singing Alone Again Naturally.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment