Thursday 19 May 2022

Love Story

 




Many of us are familiar with those stories of how they met. Our parents I mean. That love story that is hard to imagine as they appear to never have been young.Here is one of those...



 



Nearly Not There

 

If my mother had not gone to the Pictures that night

or had gone to the Castle, instead of the Astor

and if she had arrived five minutes later than she did

my father would have been ahead of her in the queue

and would not have seen the fire in her hair

catch the light of the evening sun,

and could not have followed her gaze

to the pair of shoes, or was it a handbag?

in McKinley’s shop window,

and would not therefore have said,

“Would you like me to buy that for you?”

 

And if his boldness had unleashed distain

and not laughter, my non-existence

would have been ensured.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment