Sunday 6 March 2022

A Poem for Sunday -Reflection

 


Have decided to make Sunday a day to blog a favourite poem. So here is William Blake's A Poison Tree. The message is clear enough.I found I still had a school copy of Songs of Innocence and Experience so have a look at the illustrations



You can look up notes on Blake through the following links and there's a good reading of the poem at the end of the section from Wikipedia. Blake was also an engraver,artist and printer and did wonderful illustrations of his poems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Poison_Tree

https://www.comicsineducation.com/home/choose-your-poisontree-william-blake-and-visible-thinkin

A Poison Tree is part of the Songs of Experience



A Poison Tree by William Blake


I was angry with my friend.

I told my wrath. My wrath did end.

I was angry with my foe

I told it not, My wrath did grow.


And I watered in in fears,

Night and morning with my tears,

And I sunned it with smiles,

And with soft deceitful wiles.


And it grew both day and night,

Til it bore an apple bright.

And my foe beheld it shine,

And he knew that it was mine


And into my garden stole

when the night had veiled the pole;

In the morning glad I see

My foe outstretched beneath the tree.









1 comment:

  1. I like the idea, as I know so little about poetry! Thanks for sharing. And the illustration is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete