Thursday 10 March 2022

Poetry- To Rhyme or not to Rhyme?



Rhyming went out of fashion in poetry some time in the last century. Modern poets moved away from rhyme in the 1950s and 60s, the Beat poets are an example of this. But the modernist movement began in the late 19th Century and with it a move towards free verse where there is neither metre nor (necessarily) rhyme.   

When poetry was an oral tradition rhyming helped us to memorise. I think we love it really, secretly, closet love perhaps.... So here's to a little light rhyming on Spring or lack of. 

(Slant-rhyme here and there where I couldn't quite end-rhyme... but it was fun...)



To March

 

March is a month of tantrums

Forget your April showers

March puts me in the doldrums

For hours and hours and hours.

 

They say that Spring has sprung now

It’s not what I believe

For out there on the wind blows

Not a single bloomin’ leaf.

 

The daffs do shake their heads high

And much to my alarm

Jack Frost has not yet said goodbye

And Spring’s not shown its charm.

 

The signs are there I grant you

But I won’t hold my breath

I’m wearing winter woollies through

The weeks that lie ahead.


Copyright 2022 Cathy Leonard All rights reserved

 

1 comment:

  1. You wrote this to the beat of the rain yesterday!

    ReplyDelete